From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partition schme question
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 20:26:25
1 Alan McKinnon schrieb:
2 > On Tuesday 02 September 2008 21:14:25 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >
4 >> You should also consider putting them near the beginning of the disk.
5 >> You can do this by booting a live-CD and use gparted to move your
6 >> root-partition.
7 >
8 > These days you have absolutely no guarantee that a partition is in the
9 > location on the disk where the cylinder numbers imply they should be. Disk
10 > manufacturers are free to put the bits of a disk that add up to this mythical
11 > thing called a "cylinder" any place they like, as long as the mapping between
12 > them is maintained. There is also no way I know of to ask a disk where a
13 > specific sector actually resides.
16 No guarantee, but a pretty high chance:
17 dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/null
18 ...
19 957169664 bytes (957 MB) copied, 17.5531 s, 54.5 MB/s
20
21 dd if=/dev/sda12 of=/dev/null
22 ...
23 820854784 bytes (821 MB) copied, 21.4136 s, 38.3 MB/s
24
25 I wouldn't care about this difference if I had a fast and big HDD or a
26 RAID but on a 5400rpm notebook HDD it really makes a difference,
27 especially when you are using tuxonice for suspend to disk.