From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GUI for LVM?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 06:27:28
1 On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 00:48 -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Bill Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > Is there a GUI in portage for managing an LV? Fedora etc have
4 > > system-config-lvm but I cant find anything for gentoo.
5 > >
6 > > (the commandline tools are good, but this is something where I want a
7 > > visual check before in case I am assuming something thats wrong).
8 > >
9 > > BillK
13 > Well, webmin is back in portage. There is also a new program called
14 > kvpm that is in a overlay, kde overlay I think. No further info on that
15 > since I don't have it installed. I just installed webmin and it is
16 > there so that may help you.
17 >
18 > If you go the webmin route, just emerge it, start the service, point
19 > your browser to https://localhost:10000/ and look under the Hardware
20 > link on the left. I can NOT say how stable this is or how well it
21 > works. I just installed it again myself. I seem to recall it was not
22 > maintained or something and got axed from portage. No idea when it came
23 > back or anything. Just be careful until you can test it.
24 >
25 > Maybe someone will pop up with another GUI too. Oh, it would be a good
26 > idea to at least know the basics of the command line tools. What if one
27 > day your LVM fails and you don't have a GUI? Just a thought. ;-)
28 >
29 > Hope that helps.
30 >
31 > Dale
32 >
33 > :-) :-)
36 Thanks Dale ... surprised WebMin is back as its security history was so
37 dismal.
38
39 I have been using LVM on linux almost all my systems for years and LV on
40 older unix's before that - but I find the text tools can be confusing
41 and its too easy to make mistakes. The visual tools give a much clearer
42 picture so mistakes are (hopefully) less likely. From what I can see,
43 the GUI's are built on top of the cmdline tools anyway.
44
45 The pvmove is almost finished (nice it can be done online!) so two older
46 smaller disks can be removed, then the 2T drive moved to a new system
47 then I can start adding some other little bitty drives Ive been given
48 back into the LV (well, not the 60G :)
49
50 Dont you just love "Your systems are too old and unsupported so they
51 must be replaced (no, you cant keep that 2007 Sony Vaio, or that core2
52 duo as its over 3 years old). Under the rules you can have a laptop,
53 but not a desktop however we have some old drives and 2 year old quad
54 core zeon laying around you can use. And you can use your old drives if
55 you want. "Use gentoo do you? - your on your own ..."
56
57 I am sure there is logic in there somewhere ... at least I am getting a
58 new macbook air out of it, as well as a ....load of extra work to do
59 moving things around :)
60
61 BillK