From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: grub vs grub 2
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:09:32
1 Florian Philipp <lists <at> binarywings.net> writes:
4 > sys-boot/grub has two slots. The default slot 0 with version numbers
5 > around 0.92-0.97 is grub-1 (or grub legacy). Slot 2 with version numbers
6 > around 1.99 is grub-2. Because it is still in development hell, it has
7 > not reached version 2.00.
8
9 OK, this part I understand.
10
11 > IIRC, sys-boot/grub-static is mostly there for systems that cannot
12 > compile grub, for example AMD64 no-multilib profiles.
13
14 OK, from the handbook....
15 Thanks for clearing that up.
16
17 The second part of this question, is what version of grub do I use
18 with an AMD64 RAID-1-workstation install that will use this
19 (multilib) profile:
20
21 [5] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde *
22
23 But I intend to put RAID-1 on the boot/root/swap partitions.
24 ext2 and ext4 FS for boot/root.
25
26 Any preferred version of grub (grub-1) will do ?
27
28 Trying to use this document:
29 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/RAID/Software
30 The advice about grub (1 vs 2) and mdadm RAID-metadata
31 all confuses the grub choice for me.
32
33 Should I use Grub-1 ? or Grub-2 ?
34
35 Or maybe I should just do a traditional gentoo (handbook) install
36 and then migrate to a RAID-1 workstation, via this document:
37
38 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Migrate_to_RAID
39
40 I've spent countless hours on numerous attempts to do it all in
41 one install, and grub will not boot for me.
42
43 IDEAS?
46 James