From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub vs grub 2
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:55:06
1 Am 14.02.2012 18:36, schrieb james:
2 > Googling around, I get the impression
3 > that 'grub' is now grub 2. Is that
4 > correct?
5 >
6 > In portage I see grub-static
7 > (GRUB Legacy boot loader)
8 > with version numbers that coincide with
9 > "grub" (grub2 ?).
10 >
11 > If grub2 has replaced "grub-1" what (gentoo)
12 > version number did grub2 first take take?
13 >
14 > What was the last (gentoo) version number for
15 > grub 1 that was actually grub1 , or have I
16 > confused these details?
17 >
18 > I cannot seem to find these details in the release
19 > notes or as part of the sourcecode. Any suggestions
20 > on that would be keen.
21 >
22 > James
26 sys-boot/grub has two slots. The default slot 0 with version numbers
27 around 0.92-0.97 is grub-1 (or grub legacy). Slot 2 with version numbers
28 around 1.99 is grub-2. Because it is still in development hell, it has
29 not reached version 2.00.
30
31 IIRC, sys-boot/grub-static is mostly there for systems that cannot
32 compile grub, for example AMD64 no-multilib profiles.
33
34 Hope this helps,
35 Florian Philipp