From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 19:20:41
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 11:39 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > <SNIP>
8 > >
9 > > I suspect it has something to do with this being a older system.  I
10 > > wouldn't be surprised if the SATA was a older and slower version.  I
11 > > guess I could google it.
12 > >
13 > You need to study your specs. Even the first version of SATA, SATA 1,
14 > was capable of 150MB/S. SATA2 does 300MB/S. This is unlikely IMO
15 > to be due to SATA specs.
16 >
17 > Have you run iperf yet as I suggested? It will easily tell you what the
18 > network performance is and takes 5 seconds in NGL.
19
20 I ran it but it never returned anything.  I let it sit for at least a
21 minute but it just sat there.  I don't have that command on my Gentoo
22 rig.  This is what it did on the NAS box.
25 root@truenas[~]# iperf -s
26 ------------------------------------------------------------
27 Server listening on TCP port 5001
28 TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
29 ------------------------------------------------------------
32 And nothing.  Several minutes later, still nothing.  And it continues to
33 sit there.  I don't think it is working.  :/
34
35 Still, odds are, whatever it is, I'm not likely going to be able to
36 change it.  That poor old CPU just may not have the needed instruction
37 set to be really fast for this.  Maybe a different encryption would be
38 better.  I dunno.  It's temporary anyway.
39
40 And still nothing.  It's been sitting there since I read the last
41 message.  Still, nothing.
42
43 Dale
44