From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 compatibility with modern cpus
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:26:56
1 On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:16:46PM -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:18:21AM -0500, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I will try some more desperate tricks today, like reconnecting the USB pile to see if it at least boots the disks again - is my choice between disks and keyboard? I will find out. My best guess right now is that booting 3.7.0 is what clobbered things; whether I added a option which loaded bad firmware, or 3.7.0 is broken, I have no idea. It could well be something unrelated to 3.7.0. My goal for today is to try to get keyboard and disk working, then boot with 3.6.8.
5 >
6 > Whatever you think of logic, it is entirely illogical that a kernel could kill
7 > your BIOS, or any hardware ... at least, just booting into it.
8 >
9 > The southbridge is a good thing to look at, esp for a burned spot/pit.
10 >
11 > My suggestion is http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage
12
13 That's what I've been using.
14
15 But the hardware failure is illogical too; why would USB and SATA fail at the same time? Or why would southbridge fail when it had been running perfectly fine?
16
17 I don't really think it was 3.7.0, but who knows, did I answer some config question incorrectly and tell it to load some firmware? Without access to the disk, I can't tell. I don't remember any question about loading BIOS firmware, and can't see why the kernel would even care about that.
18
19 The whole mess makes no sense.
22 Felix Finch, a la mode