From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best whois client?
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:09:05
1 On Tuesday 26 Mar 2013 18:57:18 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On 03/26/2013 01:54 PM, Stroller wrote:
3 > > Searching portage, I find there are quite a number of alternative whois
4 > > clients.
5 > >
6 > > I think I have always used net-misc/whois in the past I now notice that a
7 > > BSD whois is available, a "generic" and an advanced jwhois.
8 > >
9 > > Presumably there are some differences between the functionality provided
10 > > by these packages, can anyone tell me which is the "best", please?
11 > >
12 > > I use whois a lot for looking up the abuse address of a host, by IP
13 > > address. Primarily I'd like to get up-to-date and useful results from
14 > > something `whois 1.2.3.4 | grep -i abuse`.
15 > >
16 > > TIA for any help,
17 > >
18 > > Stroller.
19 >
20 > FWIW, I'm using jwhois. I don't remember why I settled on that one over
21 > a different whois client, though.
22
23 Like Stroller I've been using net-misc/whois for ever and it does what I want,
24 but don't know what the other packages may be able to do/do better. I would
25 also be interested to find out why people prefer using these.
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick