From: David Blamire-Brown <david@××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing a printer to XP: Samba vs IPP
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:11:18
1 On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:13:09 +0000
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Mark Shields wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM, David Blamire-Brown <
6 > >
7 > > david@××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8
9 > > > I have followed the guide on gentoo.org. I've sort of got printing
10 > > > working via Samba, but haven't been able to configure it for XP users to
11 > > > print without having to login to Samba. So I'm looking back at using IPP
12 > > > on the XP laptop.
15 > > It sounds like you need to enable guest and public access to the printer.
16 > > Here is an older guide, but it seems to have the relevant stuff you need:
17 > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=110931
18 > >
19 > > These lines:
20 > >
21 > > public = yes
22 > > guest ok = yes
23 > >
24 > > Check out the guide for the appropriate places to put them.
25 >
26 > You will also want to configure cups.conf to listen not only to localhost, but
27 > to also listen to the IP address of the XP box.
28 > --
29 > Regards,
30 > Mick
31 >
32 Thank you for the advice.
33 cups.conf and smb.conf were already configured as per the guides. So that wasn't the problem. Setting security = share appears to have resolved the login issues.
34 Guest access for printing in security = user seems to have the unfortunate side effect of Windows deciding it is already logged in to samba, making impossible to connect to the homes share without logging out to clear the cache of connections.
35 I can't tell whether my initial issues with not being able to print as guest were related to the default guest linux account (nobody) not being in the lp group, but that's probably a different topic.
36
37 David
38 --
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list