From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing a printer to XP: Samba vs IPP
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:41:32
1 On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Mark Shields wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM, David Blamire-Brown <
3 >
4 > david@××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > > This is a question about a small home network set-up for printing. I
7 > > can't tell if this is OT for this list, but that doesn't seem to be a
8 > > firm restriction in this part of the world in any case!
9 > >
10 > > I have a locally attached printer on a Gentoo machine. I have a Windows
11 > > XP laptop. I would like to print from my XP laptop over the network to
12 > > the printer.
13 > > I have followed the guide on gentoo.org. I've sort of got printing
14 > > working via Samba, but haven't been able to configure it for XP users to
15 > > print without having to login to Samba. So I'm looking back at using IPP
16 > > on the XP laptop.
17 > >
18 > > Anyway, the main question is, is Samba a preferred option, or is it just
19 > > more complicated than using IPP? There are a couple of brief lines about
20 > > printing via IPP in the Gentoo Printing Guide, but a whole separate guide
21 > > on using Samba. I can't find any information on use of IPP vs Samba via a
22 > > brief Google, but maybe I'm just not searching very well.
23 > >
24 > > Regards,
25 > > David
26 > > --
27 > > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
28 >
29 > It sounds like you need to enable guest and public access to the printer.
30 > Here is an older guide, but it seems to have the relevant stuff you need:
31 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=110931
32 >
33 > These lines:
34 >
35 > public = yes
36 > guest ok = yes
37 >
38 > Check out the guide for the appropriate places to put them.
39
40 You will also want to configure cups.conf to listen not only to localhost, but
41 to also listen to the IP address of the XP box.
42 --
43 Regards,
44 Mick