From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pay attention to what 'emerge' tells you.
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 21:06:14
1 On 20/04/17 04:54, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I did my normal (approximately) weekly emerge sync/update today, and
3 > the update failed: emerge complained about a conflict between perl
4 > 5.22 and 5.24. There were a bunch of perl modules that required 5.22,
5 > but others required 5.24.
6 >
7 > After a bit of messing around, I just uninstalled all the ones that
8 > required 5.22 (and then uninstalled whatever apps required those
9 > modules). This took numerous iterations of 'emerge --pretend
10 > --depclean' and 'emerge -C <something>' and 'emerge -auvND'. After
11 > 10-15 minutes of this, the update ran without conflict, and then I
12 > reinstalled whatever apps I had uninstalled.
13 >
14 > Now update the next machine... same conflicts.
15 >
16 > This time I paid closer attention to the emerge output and added
17 > '--backtrack=30' as it suggested. Then the update worked ran no
18 > problem.
21 simpler is to:
22 emerge perl --nodeps
23 perl-cleaner --all
24 emerge -NuDv world etc ...
25
26 less work, no glitches ... I have just started machine #4
27
28 BillK