From: Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [UDEV] No network on startup
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:36:02
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 1/22/07, Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hello!
4 >> So I downgraded to udev-103 again and now I get the error message (on
5 >> startup) that /lib/udev/net.sh cannot be executed, because this file
6 >> doesn't exist!
7 >> I also tried reemerging udev, but it didn't help.
8 >
9 > What kernel version are you using. I suspect the problem with -104
10 > may be due to using an older kernel version. Also downgrading udev
11 > can be tricky, because it may leave orphaned files around (which seems
12 > to be the problem you are having with -103).
13 >
14 > A guideline when upgrading udev:
15 > - be sure to run etc-update/dispatch-conf and accept any file
16 > modifications for /etc/udev/rules.d/. The only file you should modify
17 > in here is 10-local.rules, and udev shouldn't touch it.
18 >
19 > A guideline when downgrading udev:
20 > - run etc-update/dispatch-conf just as when upgrading
21 > - Also check each file in /etc/udev/rules.d with "equery belongs" to
22 > find any orphans and consider removing them. Again, your rules in
23 > 10-local.rules should be ok to keep.
24 >
25 > -Richard
26 Thanks for your reply!
27
28 I already fixed the problem with the udev error messages by simply
29 deleting /et/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (and reemerging udev)
30 as this file was not update correctly despite running etc-update! I am
31 now running udev-104 which works fine for me :-)
32
33 Thanks!
34
35 Best Regards Jay