From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: back up gentoo system
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 06:15:17
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > There is nothing wrong with tar. In fact tar is great for this job. dd
4 > not.
5
6 Depends. If you backup to tape, like you do, then the Tape Archiver
7 commonly called "tar" is the tool to use.
8
9 But if a backup to disk is done, tar is still a good tool for the job,
10 but IMO not the best tool available. Instead I'd suggest to use rsync.
11 Reason: It's easier to restore just a single file.
12
13 It's of course possible to restore single files from tar-balls as well,
14 but it's more complicated. Especially, if you're using incrementals. I'm
15 not saying that's impossible, but just, that it's harder than with rsync.
16
17 Best regards,
18
19 Michael