From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] back up gentoo system
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 22:52:50
1 On Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2008, David wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 06 May 2008 23:54:08 Andrew MacKenzie wrote:
3 > > +++ David [gentoo-user] [Tue, May 06, 2008 at 11:44:46PM +0200]:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > I was thinking on making regular backup of my gentoo partition. I'm
7 > > > not interested in incremental backups, just a mirror image of the root
8 > > > filesystem. I've prepared some scripts using dd for the first copy and
9 > > > rsync to keep it updated. How do you make your backups?
10 > > > Any improvements?.
11 > >
12 > > I've used bacula in the past to do backups. It's very full featured but
13 > > also rather complicated for simple backups.
14 > >
15 > > These days I use an rsync-based backup script I wrote called 'yarbs' (yet
16 > > another rsync backup system).
17 > >
18 > > It uses rsync and hard links to keep X days of backups. Easy to use,
19 > > easy to recover from, easy to setup. I can make it available if anyone's
20 > > interested.
21 > >
22 > > If you're using 'dd' does that mean you're copying the entire filesystem
23 > > and not just the files? I believe that can run you into some issues if
24 > > the FS isn't read-only...
25 >
26 > What kind of issues? The idea is to copy the whole filesystem to another
27 > disk and keep it sync. And in case of "crisis" use dd from the backup to
28 > the original disk.
29
30 Andrew has a point. dd is not a good choice. FS don't like it if some parts of
31 them are in a different state than others.
32
33 Also, with dd, everytime you restore, you also restore fragmentation - oh and
34 a bigger partition? Can be tricky.
35
36 There is nothing wrong with tar. In fact tar is great for this job. dd not.
37 --
38 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list