From: David <dcorraly@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] back up gentoo system
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 22:19:16
1 On Tuesday 06 May 2008 23:54:08 Andrew MacKenzie wrote:
2 > +++ David [gentoo-user] [Tue, May 06, 2008 at 11:44:46PM +0200]:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I was thinking on making regular backup of my gentoo partition. I'm
6 > > not interested in incremental backups, just a mirror image of the root
7 > > filesystem. I've prepared some scripts using dd for the first copy and
8 > > rsync to keep it updated. How do you make your backups?
9 > > Any improvements?.
10 >
11 > I've used bacula in the past to do backups. It's very full featured but
12 > also rather complicated for simple backups.
13 >
14 > These days I use an rsync-based backup script I wrote called 'yarbs' (yet
15 > another rsync backup system).
16 >
17 > It uses rsync and hard links to keep X days of backups. Easy to use, easy
18 > to recover from, easy to setup. I can make it available if anyone's
19 > interested.
20 >
21 > If you're using 'dd' does that mean you're copying the entire filesystem
22 > and not just the files? I believe that can run you into some issues if the
23 > FS isn't read-only...
24
25 What kind of issues? The idea is to copy the whole filesystem to another disk
26 and keep it sync. And in case of "crisis" use dd from the backup to the
27 original disk.