From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: back up gentoo system
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 06:10:19
1 David <dcorraly@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 06 May 2008 23:54:08 Andrew MacKenzie wrote:
3
4 >> If you're using 'dd' does that mean you're copying the entire filesystem
5 >> and not just the files? I believe that can run you into some issues if
6 >> the FS isn't read-only...
7 >
8 > What kind of issues?
9
10 If the fs is mounted read/write, it can very easily happen, that the
11 filesystem isn't "consistent"; ie. you start to read from the source
12 and when you get to the end, stuff has changed.
13
14 If you really must use dd (why?), I would *VERY* much urge to use LVM
15 snapshots.
16
17 But in reality, I'd rather use rsync to keep the two discs in sync.
18
19 > The idea is to copy the whole filesystem to another
20 > disk and keep it sync. And in case of "crisis" use dd from the backup to
21 > the original disk.
22
23 And why dd? What do you think you gain by using dd, compared to the
24 more traditional way of copying just all the files (be it with tar,
25 be it with rsync or even with plain cp)?
26
27 Michael
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list