From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:32:40
1 On 2014-02-18 1:14 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:22:23 -0600 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>>> Yet again, I respect ones right to use whatever one wants, but I ask
5 >>>> to respect mine as well. That's why I propose a separate systemd
6 >>>> profile for those willing to use it.
7 >>>
8 >>> Then write. Just be aware that to write a systemd profile, you need to
9 >>> use systemd.
10 >>
11 >> Or to create a non-systemd profile :)
12 >
13 > That's the best response I've read in, like, many years. That's
14 > perfect; I'm 100% behind it. I even volunteer to help (with testing)
15 > to anyone going for this.
16
17 Canek,
18
19 You've referred many times to other programs that *require* systemd.
20
21 I'm curious as to the extent of these programs, and to what extent they
22 *truly* require systemd.
23
24 I can't for the life of me think of any reason that server daemons like
25 postfix, dovecot, apache, etc would or could ever *require* systemd.
26
27 I couldn't care less about gnome (don't use it, never used it, don't
28 wanna use it), but what others are there?
29
30 Also, for those that do require it, what feature of systemd (that
31 doesn't have an alternative available) is it that the program uses?
32
33 Thx