From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:24:43
1 Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2 > fyi, as someone who has played around quite a bit with most of the
3 > ways to configure a home workstation, I find the best config currently
4 > is:
5 >
6 > Dedicated Fast Enterprise 2TB drive -> /, swap, and /boot (ext4)
7 > Six 2TB Reliable SATA Drives in RAID10 -> /home (ext4 with appropriate
8 > chunksize/etc)
9 > Two 2TB Reliable SATA Drives in LVM VG -> /archive, other lvm volumes
10 > I can afford to lose and may need to change sizes for.
11 >
12 > No worrying about any bootup complications/initrd or seperate /usr or
13 > /var on workstation, all the important personal data is on reliable
14 > storage, lots of free space for big projects. Backups are on separate
15 > disks from data.
16 > Ext4 over RAID seem happier without lvm. Maybe a few years down the
17 > road btrfs will be complete, I'll be able to switch to that.
18 >
19 > Only complications of above is a) careful monitoring of boot disk, b)
20 > with so many drives, chassis needs good air flow/power, and c) unless
21 > /tmp or /var put on lvm, all gentoo compiles are limited by i/o of
22 > boot disk (this isn't a problem for me now, but perhaps when I upgrade
23 > to faster cpus with more cores..).
27 That would work IF I could afford all those drives. Right now, I have
28 three and one of them was given to me by another Gentoo user. I did
29 find a security system that has a 500Gb drive that I may use. Videos on
30 a drive made for videos should work fine. lol
31
32 Also, I have a Cooler Master case with lots of fans, large ones too.
33
34 Dale
35
40 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
41 how you interpreted my words!
42
43 Miss the compile output? Hint:
44 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"