From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eselect sh set dash?
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 16:55:53
1 Am 29.04.2012 16:04, schrieb Marc Joliet:
2 > Am Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:20:41 +0200
3 > schrieb Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>:
4 >
5 >> Hi list!
6 >
7 > Hi,
8 >
9 >> Now that eselect-sh has been stabilized, I'm wondering if anyone has
10 >> tried setting dash as the /bin/sh symlink. Any experiences?
13 > I've been using dash as my /bin/sh for a while now. I've had it installed since
14 > June 2009, I suppose I've had the symlink set for the same length of time.
15 >
16 > Pretty much all incompatibilities I encountered are fixed now, stuff like
17 > openrc introducing bashisms (what fun! I never used the debug option of an init
18 > script before or since), or the Audacity build system having #!/bin/sh but
19 > using bashisms. I seem to recall that I have one package installed that has this
20 > problem and requires changing the symlink temporarily, but I don't remember
21 > which. It might have been fixed by now, though.
22 >
23 > Also, the old mysql-init-scripts-1.2 package requires bash, in case that matters
24 > to you.
25 >
26 > So I don't think you should expect any problems (save for the rare exception),
27 > and for me there was a noticeable speedup with the init system (also reported
28 > by Flameeyes in his blog).
29 >
30 >> Thanks in advance!
31 >> Florian Philipp
32 >
33 > HTH
34
35 Hi Marc,
36
37 thanks for the info! I've tried it on one of my systems and in my
38 measurements, it definitely scraped off a few seconds of the reboot cycle.
39
40 Regards,
41 Florian Philipp