From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: Gentoo-User ML <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eselect sh set dash?
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 14:06:58
1 Am Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:20:41 +0200
2 schrieb Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>:
3
4 > Hi list!
5
6 Hi,
7
8 > Now that eselect-sh has been stabilized, I'm wondering if anyone has
9 > tried setting dash as the /bin/sh symlink. Any experiences?
12 I've been using dash as my /bin/sh for a while now. I've had it installed since
13 June 2009, I suppose I've had the symlink set for the same length of time.
14
15 Pretty much all incompatibilities I encountered are fixed now, stuff like
16 openrc introducing bashisms (what fun! I never used the debug option of an init
17 script before or since), or the Audacity build system having #!/bin/sh but
18 using bashisms. I seem to recall that I have one package installed that has this
19 problem and requires changing the symlink temporarily, but I don't remember
20 which. It might have been fixed by now, though.
21
22 Also, the old mysql-init-scripts-1.2 package requires bash, in case that matters
23 to you.
24
25 So I don't think you should expect any problems (save for the rare exception),
26 and for me there was a noticeable speedup with the init system (also reported
27 by Flameeyes in his blog).
28
29 > Thanks in advance!
30 > Florian Philipp
31
32 HTH
33 --
34 Marc Joliet
35 --
36 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
37 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup