From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mounting disk image
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:11:00
1 On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 05:38:54 +0100
2 Stroller wrote:
5 > On 6 Apr 2008, at 22:03, pat wrote:
6 > > ...
7 > > I have a question about mounting disk image as the disk. I have
8 > > disk image
9 > > which was created using:
10 > > dd if=/dev/sda of=./file.iso
11 > > and the sda contained two partitions sda1 and sda2. I know, that
12 > > if I have
13 > > only image of the sda1 I can mount it using loop device like
14 > > #losetup /dev/loop0 file.iso
15 > > #mount -t ... /dev/loop0 /mnt/tmp
16 > >
17 > > But, how to do it if the file structure is: sda -> sda1, sda2? I
18 > > need to get
19 > > data from sda1 and sda2 :-|
20 >
21 > Hi there,
22 >
23 > I have a similar disk image I need to access in the same way. I
24 > asked about this on the list a while ago & received some helpful
25 > replies.
26 >
27 > Unfortunately I got busy with work right after posting, and haven't
28 > had a chance to try them, yet, but maybe you'll find them useful:
29 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/193263
30 >
31 > Stroller.
32
33 On an occasion or two, I've had linux installs overwrite a partition
34 table when I wasn't paying close occasion. Using google I found
35 TestDisk which is a program that is able to recover partition tables.
36 I've used it successfully 2 or 3 times. I've also encountered one
37 situation where I broke the partition table with dd and TestDisk wasn't
38 able to help. So, mileage varies :->
39
40 David
41 --