From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mtune=k6-2 and a *small* upgrade
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:52:06
1 On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
4 > >> � � But what else? Will mtune=k6-2 make executables that will run
5 > >> on an Athlon 64? Anyone tried this? Would I get to a point where I
6 > >> could make -e world and have a nice working system?
7 > >
8 > > k6 is 32 bit right?
9 > >
10 > > There's no sane upgrade path to amd64, looks like you are in for a
11 > > reinstall
12 >
13 > Yes, 32bit, and Athlon 64s ran x86 last I heard :)
14 >
15 > The 64bit argument is one I will have to consider more deeply, but
16 > certainly in the near term, I won't gain anything from it, as I don't
17 > do *any* of the things the extended memory range is good for, and
18 > don't need more than 4GB RAM.......
19 >
20 > Later when I upgrade to a phenom, and stick 1GB RAM per core in
21 > there, then yeah, I will probably recompile into 64bit, but that can
22 > be done in a chroot, and migrated fairly easily I would expect, so
23 > long as the system is running.
24
25 OK, so it's 32 bit on an amd64 you'll be doing
26
27 I would reconfigure the kernel and include things that you know ought to
28 be there. Then move the disks over and see if it boots. Rinse, repeat,
29 till it does.
30
31 Now the existing system should work with your new hardware and you can
32 update your CFLAGS and 'emerge -e world' at your leisure.
33
34 That's the theory at least anyway :-)
37 Alan McKinnon
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list