From: Anthony Metcalf <Anthony.Metcalf@×××××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mtune=k6-2 and a *small* upgrade
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:03:04
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > OK, so it's 32 bit on an amd64 you'll be doing
5 Initially yes, I'll look into 64bit as need arises.....
6 > I would reconfigure the kernel and include things that you know ought to
7 > be there. Then move the disks over and see if it boots. Rinse, repeat,
8 > till it does.
11 Well, more likely, break the mirror, pull a disk, and test on the new
12 machine, if it works, great, take the old machine down, and move the
13 remaining disk across and drop onto the network, and start the process
14 to change the cflags and emerge -e world...
15
16 If not, then most likely move the disk back, let the mirror rebuild, and
17 do a fresh install on new disks...
18 > Now the existing system should work with your new hardware and you can
19 > update your CFLAGS and 'emerge -e world' at your leisure.
20 >
21 > That's the theory at least anyway :-)
24 Well, exactly. That is the theory. I want to know the likelihood of
25 success. I know that using mtune=k6-2 means it won't run on anything
26 before a k6-2, and most likely not on anything Intel, due to the symbols
27 and optimisations used. What I want is some idea of the chance it will
28 run on a *later* AMD processor. Will an Athlon honour the k6-2
29 optimisations?