From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mtune=k6-2 and a *small* upgrade
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:46:11
1 On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:02:50 +0100, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
2
3 > Well, exactly. That is the theory. I want to know the likelihood of
4 > success. I know that using mtune=k6-2 means it won't run on anything
5 > before a k6-2, and most likely not on anything Intel, due to the
6 > symbols and optimisations used. What I want is some idea of the chance
7 > it will run on a *later* AMD processor. Will an Athlon honour the k6-2
8 > optimisations?
9
10 If you have the time before the transition, you could set CFLAGS to
11 something really generic, like -mcpu=i586 and emerge -e system, as well
12 as recompiling the kernel. Then move the disks over. That way, you'll
13 know that your toolchain and portage will work, which is all you need to
14 get everything else going.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?