From: David Rosenbaum <rosenbaumd181@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 04:45:37
1 Thanks
2
3 Dave
4
5 On Sat, Dec 10, 2022, 11:19 AM Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
6
7 > Am Sat, Dec 10, 2022 at 09:20:17AM +0000 schrieb Wols Lists:
8 >
9 > > > > Depending on the PVR make/model I've seen 1080p resolution
10 > recordings with
11 > > > > .m2ts and .ts file extensions, while the codecs inside them are the
12 > same.
13 > -------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
14 > >
15 > > > I wasn’t aware that ts could contain h264. But then again—I never
16 > really
17 > ---------------------------------^^^^^^^
18 > > > bothered with live TV recordings in recent years.
19 >
20 > > I think this is confusing CONTAINER and CODEC.
21 >
22 > Where do we confuse those two? We specifically talked of codecs and
23 > “contain”.
24 >
25 > > .ts is a container format, h264 is a codec. I don't understand it myself,
26 > > either but think of ts as your directory structure and h264 as your file
27 > > structure.
28 >
29 > Now you are confusing me. You say you don’t understand it, but then explain
30 > it. TS is like AVI and MKV: a file structure for the payload data. And
31 > payload data can be all kinds of stuff, from ASS plaintext subtitles, over
32 > opus audio to mpeg2 or h264 video.
33 >
34 > > Incidentally, sticking this stuff in a .tar is probably okay - that's
35 > just
36 > > another container, but sticking it in a .tar.gz is not, the gz is your
37 > codec
38 > > and will make the file BIGGER in all probability.
39 >
40 > Tar does not compress, it simply puts all inputs in a 1:1 stream. It does
41 > add some metadata (filename and so on). Packers reduce data volume by
42 > increasing information-per-byte. So if the total information stays the same
43 > (for lossless coding), the number of bytes decreases. Encoded video data
44 > ideally has even entropy. It is indistinguishable from random noise. That’s
45 > why compressing it again does not yield anything, or even adds some volume
46 > again.
47 >
48 > --
49 > Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
50 > Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
51 >
52 > “Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind.”
53 > – John F. Kennedy
54 >