From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:19:17
1 Am Sat, Dec 10, 2022 at 09:20:17AM +0000 schrieb Wols Lists:
2
3 > > > Depending on the PVR make/model I've seen 1080p resolution recordings with
4 > > > .m2ts and .ts file extensions, while the codecs inside them are the same.
5 -------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
6 >
7 > > I wasn’t aware that ts could contain h264. But then again—I never really
8 ---------------------------------^^^^^^^
9 > > bothered with live TV recordings in recent years.
10
11 > I think this is confusing CONTAINER and CODEC.
12
13 Where do we confuse those two? We specifically talked of codecs and
14 “contain”.
15
16 > .ts is a container format, h264 is a codec. I don't understand it myself,
17 > either but think of ts as your directory structure and h264 as your file
18 > structure.
19
20 Now you are confusing me. You say you don’t understand it, but then explain
21 it. TS is like AVI and MKV: a file structure for the payload data. And
22 payload data can be all kinds of stuff, from ASS plaintext subtitles, over
23 opus audio to mpeg2 or h264 video.
24
25 > Incidentally, sticking this stuff in a .tar is probably okay - that's just
26 > another container, but sticking it in a .tar.gz is not, the gz is your codec
27 > and will make the file BIGGER in all probability.
28
29 Tar does not compress, it simply puts all inputs in a 1:1 stream. It does
30 add some metadata (filename and so on). Packers reduce data volume by
31 increasing information-per-byte. So if the total information stays the same
32 (for lossless coding), the number of bytes decreases. Encoded video data
33 ideally has even entropy. It is indistinguishable from random noise. That’s
34 why compressing it again does not yield anything, or even adds some volume
35 again.
38 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
39 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
40
41 “Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind.”
42 – John F. Kennedy