From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 09:20:25
1 On 09/12/2022 13:38, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 >> Depending on the PVR make/model I've seen 1080p resolution recordings with
3 >> .m2ts and .ts file extensions, while the codecs inside them are the same.
4
5 > I wasn’t aware that ts could contain h264. But then again—I never really
6 > bothered with live TV recordings in recent years. These days, if I find
7 > something interesting, I download the show form the TV channel’s website
8 > (called Mediathek in Germany, a word play on Bibliothek, meaning library).
9 > Interestingly though, the picture quality is noticably worse than what I
10 > receive via DVB-T.
11 >
12 I think this is confusing CONTAINER and CODEC.
13
14 .ts is a container format, h264 is a codec. I don't understand it
15 myself, either, but think of ts as your directory structure and h264 as
16 your file structure.
17
18 Incidentally, sticking this stuff in a .tar is probably okay - that's
19 just another container, but sticking it in a .tar.gz is not, the gz is
20 your codec and will make the file BIGGER in all probability.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol