From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 13:38:46
1 Am Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 01:13:50PM +0000 schrieb Michael:
2
3 > > > I get the impression Dale isn't actually PLANNING his disk storage. It's
4 > > > just a case of "help I'm downloading all this stuff where do I put it!!!"
5 > >
6 > > Haha, thanks for the laugh.
7 >
8 > Actually this had me thinking what is the need to back up the ... Internet?
9 > […]
10 >
11 > I appreciate some of these video files may be rare finds, or there may be a
12 > risk some of these may be taken off the interwebs sooner or later. This
13 > should leave a rather small subset of all downloads, which may merit a local
14 > backup, just in case. I'd thought the availability of higher fiber download
15 > speeds negates the need for local backups, of readily downloadable media.
16
17 Good points. I am a big fan of having stuff locally as well, because I don’t
18 want to be dependent on a company’s servers and a working Internet connection.
19 But this mostly applies to my mobile device, because I don’t have a data plan
20 for mobile Internet.
21
22 > > Well, ts uses mpeg2 encoding, just like old video DVDs, which is very
23 > > inefficient when compared with modern h264/h265. Modern digital TV broadcast
24 > > uses h264 by now.
25 >
26 > Depending on the PVR make/model I've seen 1080p resolution recordings with
27 > .m2ts and .ts file extensions, while the codecs inside them are the same.
28
29 I wasn’t aware that ts could contain h264. But then again—I never really
30 bothered with live TV recordings in recent years. These days, if I find
31 something interesting, I download the show form the TV channel’s website
32 (called Mediathek in Germany, a word play on Bibliothek, meaning library).
33 Interestingly though, the picture quality is noticably worse than what I
34 receive via DVB-T.
35
36 > > ¹ I do have several external USB disks, plus the big NAS. All of which don’t
37 > > run very often. And I don’t want to turn them on just to look for a certain
38 > > file. That’s why I have another little script. ;-) It uses the `tree`
39 > > command to save the complete content listing of a directory into a text
40 > > file and names the file automatically by the name of the directory it
41 > > crawls. So if I want to find a file, I just need to grep through my text
42 > > files.
43 >
44 > Backup scripts utilising rsync, tar, etc. can output a log file which contains
45 > (some) details of all the backed up files. Nothing as sophisticated as
46 > Frank's script, but it allows for a quick search against the name of the file
47 > or directory, before extraction.
48
49 Naturally, I just discovered two bugs in the script while I was re-reading
50 my mail. One of them broke the creation of the symlink which points to the
51 most recent version of a script output. The other prevented normal operation
52 if only gzip was available amongst the used compressors.
55 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
56 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
57
58 We promise nothing, but that we keep.

FileTree text/plain