From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 15:28:29
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 01:13:50PM +0000 schrieb Michael:
5 > Good points. I am a big fan of having stuff locally as well, because I don’t
6 > want to be dependent on a company’s servers and a working Internet connection.
7 > But this mostly applies to my mobile device, because I don’t have a data plan
8 > for mobile Internet.
12 That is my reason.  I already have some videos that are no longer
13 available.  Even references to the video ever existing is hard to find.
14 If I lose them, I may never get them again.  So, I try to keep copies
15 and hang onto them.  Plus, while I've been fortunate and have a good
16 stable internet connection, both with DSL and fibre, I don't know what
17 next year or even next month will bring.  You add in all the censorship
18 that is going on, it gets even worse.  I have many videos that I
19 downloaded from youtube that have been removed because of basically, a
20 political position.  The people running Youtube doesn't like the content
21 so it was removed.  Keep in mind, those videos were instructional and
22 nothing about illegal activity or anything.  They just don't like the
23 content.  It's also why other sites came along so people could post the
24 exact same type of content.
25
26 I don't always save everything but when I find a video that might be
27 useful, whether it is about repairing my old washing machine, repairs to
28 a firearm, planting trees from seeds or just a funny cat video, I save
29 it if it has some future value.  The bad thing, some channels that have
30 been removed for a small amount of videos Youtube didn't like also had
31 other videos removed as well.  I've noticed entire channels disappear.
32 I can't trust the people running video websites to allow content even
33 for short term.  Post something they don't like, true or not, they can
34 and often do remove content and often remove entire channels.
35
36 I don't trust my data to be on just one set of hard drives either, it's
37 why I make backup copies.  If one of my main drives lets the smoke out,
38 I've got a backup to restore from.  I wouldn't mind having two sets of
39 backups and one day, I just may.  I may end up with two NAS boxes, each
40 a independent backup copy.  May on alternate weeks or something.  If
41 possible, I wouldn't mind having backups where I can even go back in
42 time a bit.  Just in case I need a file that I deleted and then was
43 deleted from the backups as well.
44
45 If this Raspberry thing works and is fairly cheap, I may end up with two
46 NAS boxes as backups and a NAS box as the actual storage itself.
47
48 Since I can't trust people who run websites, I have to trust myself.
49 Keep local copies, back those up just in case.
50
51 Dale
52
54
55 P. S.  Seamonkey still doesn't automatically fetch emails.  It's really
56 annoying.  :/