From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mozilla firefox 1.5 and gnome
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:00:57
1 On 1/15/06, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
2 > Trenton Adams schreef:
3 > > On 1/14/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > >> On 1/14/06, Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >>> The old version could disable gnome, but 1.5 can't. Perhaps it's
6 > >>> a firefox 1.5 ebuild limitation? I hope that's what it is,
7 > >>> because I can't stand gnome.
8 > >> False.
9 > >>
10 > >> carcharias rjf # ldd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin | grep
11 > >> gnome carcharias rjf # emerge -pv mozilla-firefox
12 > >>
13 > >> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
14 > >>
15 > >> Calculating dependencies ...done! [ebuild R ]
16 > >> www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5-r9 USE="java -debug -gnome -ipv6
17 > >> -mozdevelop -xinerama -xprint" 0 kB
18 > >
19 > > If you already have gnome installed, gnome won't show up unless you
20 > > go --tree, will it? Either way, you can take a look in the ebuild
21 > > file for firefox 1.5, and there's no reference to gnome. No checking
22 > > of the gnome useflag or anything like that. 1.0.7 has it though.
25 > The appearance of USE flags (which is what we're talking about) is
26 > unrelated to whether or not you have the package installed already-- a
27 > USE flag does not appear or disappear based on whether you have the
28 > relevant package installed. In fact, the USE flag controls to great
29 > degree whether you install the relevant dependency or not (i.e., if K3b
30 > optionally depends on KDE, then enabling the "kde" USE flag will install
31 > additional, optional KDE support programs. But since K3b requires
32 > kdelibs and kdebase to run at all, these hard dependencies are not
33 > controlled by the USE flag).
34
35 Oh, I get it. the thing that confused me was that he put the "USE=",
36 so I thought he was showing me what use flags he had set, not the
37 output of the emerge command. Now I see he was showing the output of
38 the emerge command and adding "USE=". Either that, or he's using a
39 newer version of emerge that outputs "USE=" for him.
42 > In any case:
43 >
44 > emerge -pv mozilla-firefox gnome-light
45 >
46 > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
47 >
48 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
49 > [ebuild R ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5-r9 USE="gnome java
50 > xprint -debug -ipv6 -mozdevelop -xinerama" 0 kB
51 > [ebuild R ] gnome-base/gnome-light-2.12.0 0 kB
52 >
53 > As you see, I do have GNOME installed, and the "gnome" USE flag does
54 > still appear in the Firefox prospective emerge output.
57 > |> Runtime Dependencies
58 > |> mozilla-firefox-1.5-r9
59 > |>
60 > |> gnome >= gnome-base/gnome-vfs - 2.3.5
61 >
62 > |> Title: gnome-vfs
65 > So enabling the gnome USE flag adds a runtime dependency on the GNOME
66 > virtual file system.
67 >
68 > Which sounds an awful lot like something that might affect dialogs.
69 >
70 > However, since there were a lot of complaints about the old dialog, I
71 > strongly doubt that disabling this flag would change the dialogs
72 > terribly significantly, except that you wouldn't have the GNOME extras
73 > that I mentioned before. It's quite likely that even the "naked" new
74 > dialog is a lot like the current GNOME dialog.
75 >
76 > And again, the likely reason that there is no reference to GNOME in the
77 > ebuild is because the references to GNOME integration and compatibility
78 > are *in the source code*, because the *Mozilla developers chose* this
79 > dialog *as the default* (but not the only) choice of dialog. That is
80 > their good right, just as it is your good right to change that if you so
81 > desire (since that is apparently quite possible to do).
82 >
83 > Ebuilds don't do anything but compile the code as given, with some
84 > slight modification to work within the Gentoo system (as opposed to the
85 > RedHat system or the SuSE system). Ebuilds certainly don't change things
86 > as integral to the operation of the program as the format and type of
87 > file dialogs.
88 >
89 > I suppose you could trawl through the source and see where this is set
90 > and then write an ebuild to make the choice of file dialog type a
91 > configure option-- maybe. If it's already a configure option. Which I
92 > doubt. But you could look.
93 >
94 > Holly
95 > --