From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mozilla firefox 1.5 and gnome
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:33:56
1 Trenton Adams schreef:
2 > On 1/14/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 1/14/06, Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> The old version could disable gnome, but 1.5 can't. Perhaps it's
5 >>> a firefox 1.5 ebuild limitation? I hope that's what it is,
6 >>> because I can't stand gnome.
7 >> False.
8 >>
9 >> carcharias rjf # ldd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin | grep
10 >> gnome carcharias rjf # emerge -pv mozilla-firefox
11 >>
12 >> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
13 >>
14 >> Calculating dependencies ...done! [ebuild R ]
15 >> www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5-r9 USE="java -debug -gnome -ipv6
16 >> -mozdevelop -xinerama -xprint" 0 kB
17 >
18 > If you already have gnome installed, gnome won't show up unless you
19 > go --tree, will it? Either way, you can take a look in the ebuild
20 > file for firefox 1.5, and there's no reference to gnome. No checking
21 > of the gnome useflag or anything like that. 1.0.7 has it though.
24 The appearance of USE flags (which is what we're talking about) is
25 unrelated to whether or not you have the package installed already-- a
26 USE flag does not appear or disappear based on whether you have the
27 relevant package installed. In fact, the USE flag controls to great
28 degree whether you install the relevant dependency or not (i.e., if K3b
29 optionally depends on KDE, then enabling the "kde" USE flag will install
30 additional, optional KDE support programs. But since K3b requires
31 kdelibs and kdebase to run at all, these hard dependencies are not
32 controlled by the USE flag).
33
34 In any case:
35
36 emerge -pv mozilla-firefox gnome-light
37
38 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
39
40 Calculating dependencies ...done!
41 [ebuild R ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5-r9 USE="gnome java
42 xprint -debug -ipv6 -mozdevelop -xinerama" 0 kB
43 [ebuild R ] gnome-base/gnome-light-2.12.0 0 kB
44
45 As you see, I do have GNOME installed, and the "gnome" USE flag does
46 still appear in the Firefox prospective emerge output.
49 |> Runtime Dependencies
50 |> mozilla-firefox-1.5-r9
51 |>
52 |> gnome >= gnome-base/gnome-vfs - 2.3.5
53
54 |> Title: gnome-vfs
57 So enabling the gnome USE flag adds a runtime dependency on the GNOME
58 virtual file system.
59
60 Which sounds an awful lot like something that might affect dialogs.
61
62 However, since there were a lot of complaints about the old dialog, I
63 strongly doubt that disabling this flag would change the dialogs
64 terribly significantly, except that you wouldn't have the GNOME extras
65 that I mentioned before. It's quite likely that even the "naked" new
66 dialog is a lot like the current GNOME dialog.
67
68 And again, the likely reason that there is no reference to GNOME in the
69 ebuild is because the references to GNOME integration and compatibility
70 are *in the source code*, because the *Mozilla developers chose* this
71 dialog *as the default* (but not the only) choice of dialog. That is
72 their good right, just as it is your good right to change that if you so
73 desire (since that is apparently quite possible to do).
74
75 Ebuilds don't do anything but compile the code as given, with some
76 slight modification to work within the Gentoo system (as opposed to the
77 RedHat system or the SuSE system). Ebuilds certainly don't change things
78 as integral to the operation of the program as the format and type of
79 file dialogs.
80
81 I suppose you could trawl through the source and see where this is set
82 and then write an ebuild to make the choice of file dialog type a
83 configure option-- maybe. If it's already a configure option. Which I
84 doubt. But you could look.
85
86 Holly
87 --