From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo 2006.1 profile and use flag changes
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 19:50:08
1 > In an ideal world, yes. But it isn't an ideal world, and the
2 > expectation that nothing in the "stable" tree will ever break is just
3 > not something that can be satisfied [1].
4
5 Yes, I know :)
6
7 > Also, the gcc and release enginering teams have stated quite
8 > emphatically that they are not going to hold up progress on their
9 > projects just because other (typically maintainer-wanted) projects are
10 > not keeping up. [2] & [3]
11
12 > There is a debate (argument?, flame war?) going on between devs about
13 > exactly how much notice was given in advance of gcc _moving_ to
14 > stable, but the package maintainers did have 2 months between gcc 4.1
15 > entering ~arch and it moving to stable to fix their problems and move
16 > the fixed versions to stable.
17
18 Absolutely right. But at this point shouldn't the non-tested package be
19 moved to ~arch? Or at the very beginning of major GCC upgrade processes
20 (like 3.3-->3.4 or 3.4-->4.1), should there be some automatic advice
21 that "the following packages on your world have NOT been tested with the
22 GCC/glibc/kernel/whatever version you're trying to switch to, are you
23 sure to switch?"
24 (Ok, maybe I should personally work on it... if only I had time,sigh)
25
26 > So in the end, arch users are in much the same position as ~arch,
27 > except hopefully your incidences of breakage are much more rare. And
28 > IMO, you also get the right to bitch about it...but only if you also
29 > report the problems on bugs.gentoo.org! ;-)
30
31 That's something I usually do :) ,it's the minimum.
32
33 > And of course, Gentoo comes with a lifetime guarantee of complete
34 > satisfaction or your money back. :-P
35
36 Well, right. I love gentoo, but as any significant other sometimes has
37 its quirks :)
38
39 m.
40 --