From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo 2006.1 profile and use flag changes
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 23:51:10
1 On 9/4/06, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I don't get it. A given arch system should be self consistent. An ~arch
3 > system in theory should be too, but being testing I understand it can not.
4 > The purpose of being on arch should be "having a self consistent system
5 > within itself" not "having a mostly working bunch of packages". The few,
6 > seldom-used packages could be the *critical* packages for a given user
7 > (I think to some scientific packages, for example... not many use them,
8 > but they can be the very reason to have Linux for someone) Shouldn't all
9 > stable packages being tested with a given compiler before that compiler
10 > becomes stable?
11
12 In an ideal world, yes. But it isn't an ideal world, and the
13 expectation that nothing in the "stable" tree will ever break is just
14 not something that can be satisfied [1].
15
16 Also, the gcc and release enginering teams have stated quite
17 emphatically that they are not going to hold up progress on their
18 projects just because other (typically maintainer-wanted) projects are
19 not keeping up. [2] & [3]
20
21 There is a debate (argument?, flame war?) going on between devs about
22 exactly how much notice was given in advance of gcc _moving_ to
23 stable, but the package maintainers did have 2 months between gcc 4.1
24 entering ~arch and it moving to stable to fix their problems and move
25 the fixed versions to stable.
26
27 So in the end, arch users are in much the same position as ~arch,
28 except hopefully your incidences of breakage are much more rare. And
29 IMO, you also get the right to bitch about it...but only if you also
30 report the problems on bugs.gentoo.org! ;-)
31
32 And of course, Gentoo comes with a lifetime guarantee of complete
33 satisfaction or your money back. :-P
34
35 -Richard
36