From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Lowest common denominator compile
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 20:56:02
1 >>> I have a network of very nearly identical Dell XPS 13 laptops that I
2 >>> manage with a script. The master pushes the contents of its
3 >>> filesystem to the others so I only have to manage one system. It's
4 >>> worked really well over several years. I just got a new Dell XPS 13
5 >>> to serve as the master and there have been some changes that were
6 >>> difficult to integrate with the network (high-res screen, /dev/sda
7 >>> replaced with /dev/nvme0n0) but those problems are fixed thanks to you
8 >>> guys.
9 >>>
10 >>> Now I'm running into "trap invalid opcode" errors on the older
11 >>> systems. Can I disable some of the newer CPU instruction sets on the
12 >>> master laptop when compiling to hopefully generate binaries that will
13 >>> work on the older systems? If so, could anyone point me in the right
14 >>> direction? I don't want to use distcc please.
15 >>>
16 >>> CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
17 >>> CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
20 >> Switching to -mtune=native seems to work. Time for an emerge -e world.
21 >
22 > Also time for ansible. Why you managing a fleet of machines with a
23 > script that won't actually differentiate properly between machines? It
24 > will sorts mostly do it right, except when you forget something.
27 Well I designed it around the principle that I would have the luxury
28 of using sufficiently identical hardware across each system so that it
29 wouldn't need to differentiate. It's simple, it's one file. I just
30 execute the file with certain parameters based on whether I'm cloning
31 the running system to a USB stick, cloning the running USB stick to
32 its host system, pushing the master system to another system, or
33 updating the running system based on the last push to it. Worked
34 great until the latest iteration of XPS 13. Even now the only
35 hardware differentiation it needs to make is /dev/sda or /dev/nvme0n1.
36 DisplaySize in xorg.conf and -mtune=native in make.conf are sufficient
37 to handle different screen resolutions and CPUs.
40 > This is exactly the use-case ansible was designed for: declarative,
41 > idempotent, predictable management of a fleet of machines that may or
42 > may not be around when you feel like updating something (so it catches
43 > up later), and needs only sshd and python to do it's magic :-)
46 ansible does sound pretty cool. I'll check it out if I outgrow my
47 script but as long as I can keep using Dell XPS 13 laptops I don't
48 think it will have any trouble scaling.
49
50 - Grant