From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 07:12:30
1 Personally I'm quite happy with both GPLv2 and GPLv3. Frankly, my only
2 real, serious concern is the fact that the two licences are incompatible.
3
4 The fact compatibility has not explicitly allowed sounds plain crazy to
5 me. This means that GPLv2-only projects won't exchange code anymore with
6 GPLv3-only or GPLv3-and-later projects, thus splitting the ecosystem in
7 half, with benefit for no one.
8
9 When I tried asking about how to have some degree of compatibility
10 between GPLv2 and GPLv3 in code I write, everyone told me "just license
11 it under GPLv2 or any later version". The problem is that in this case I
12 have to blindly trust the FSF about anything that will come out of it.
13 GPLv3 raised serious concerns to many, and I also tried to follow
14 carefully the thing, even if at the end, for all my purposes, I find
15 them more or less equivalent. But how can I know what GPLv4 or v5 will
16 be? Will I still like it? Using the "any later version" clause puts me
17 in the hands of FSF without chance of coming back. Not using it (and
18 just using "v2 and v3") puts me at the stake whenever GPLv4 will be out.
19 What should I do, in your opinion?
20
21 m.
22 --