From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FAN-Speed readout/control ???
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:04:43
1 Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net> [10-12-12 10:24]:
2 > > Just build all the sensor drivers into
3 > > the kernel, not modules but built in.
4 >
5 > A simpler way:
6 >
7 > - make sure you have CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV=y, CONFIG_I2C_HELPER_AUTO=y and
8 > select the correct I2C hardware bus drivers for your platform
9 > (CONFIG_I2C_I801 for most recent Intel chipsets and CONFIG_I2C_PIIX4 for
10 > most recent AMD chipsets; reading the help text of the various drivers
11 > should point you in the right direction);
12 >
13 > - emerge sys-apps/lm_sensors
14 >
15 > - run sensors-detect
16 >
17 > - enable the drivers for all the things sensors-detect finds. Hopefully
18 > you won't have any unsupported chips...
19 >
20 > - you can then add lm_sensors to the default runlevel, so that it loads
21 > the correct modules during the boot process.
22 >
23 > The final step is to configure the software you use to display the
24 > sensor readings. It is usually a matter of attaching the correct labels
25 > to the various inputs, and possibly tweaking the scaling factors so that
26 > the readings match those shown by the BIOS; as the details depend on the
27 > specific manufacturer and model of your board, this will usually be a
28 > trial and error process, although google might help you. The comments in
29 > /etc/sensor3.conf, which controls software using the libraries provided
30 > by lm_sensors, are also a useful source of information.
31 >
32 > > cat /sys/devices/platform/
33 >
34 > This will miss those sensors which do not appear as a platform device
35 > (e.g. the AMD k10 on-die temperature sensors, which is a PCI device).
36 >
37 > andrea
41 Hi Andrea, Hi Dale,
42
43 Before I post my question I did, what you have suggested, Andrea.
44 Sensors-detect reports the it87 chip to be included as module/in the
45 kernel, which I did -- but the driver does not produces any output
46
47 AMD k10 was already in and reports everything -- only the fan stuff
48 was missing, which (normall) the ITE (it87) chip is used for.
49
50 The version of lm_sensors, which is in portage reports here "driver to
51 be written" but the svn-version of lm_sensors seems to support it. I
52 installed that svn-version locally but I cant read from the ITE
53 chip.
54 Still only voltages and temperatures.
55 GKrellm (normally I use conky) also detects no fans.
56
57 @Dale:
58 Do you have exactly the same board (ASUS Crosshair IV formula) as I, or?
59
60 I tried to include "everything" into the kernel but unfortunately the
61 results are the same: No fans and the it87 driver seems not to work
62 for me...
63
64 Any other ideas?
65