From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FAN-Speed readout/control ???
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 09:19:03
1 > Just build all the sensor drivers into
2 > the kernel, not modules but built in.
3
4 A simpler way:
5
6 - make sure you have CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV=y, CONFIG_I2C_HELPER_AUTO=y and
7 select the correct I2C hardware bus drivers for your platform
8 (CONFIG_I2C_I801 for most recent Intel chipsets and CONFIG_I2C_PIIX4 for
9 most recent AMD chipsets; reading the help text of the various drivers
10 should point you in the right direction);
11
12 - emerge sys-apps/lm_sensors
13
14 - run sensors-detect
15
16 - enable the drivers for all the things sensors-detect finds. Hopefully
17 you won't have any unsupported chips...
18
19 - you can then add lm_sensors to the default runlevel, so that it loads
20 the correct modules during the boot process.
21
22 The final step is to configure the software you use to display the
23 sensor readings. It is usually a matter of attaching the correct labels
24 to the various inputs, and possibly tweaking the scaling factors so that
25 the readings match those shown by the BIOS; as the details depend on the
26 specific manufacturer and model of your board, this will usually be a
27 trial and error process, although google might help you. The comments in
28 /etc/sensor3.conf, which controls software using the libraries provided
29 by lm_sensors, are also a useful source of information.
30
31 > cat /sys/devices/platform/
32
33 This will miss those sensors which do not appear as a platform device
34 (e.g. the AMD k10 on-die temperature sensors, which is a PCI device).
35
36 andrea