From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups... a very general question...
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:52:48
1 On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:04:26 +0100, Steve [Gentoo] wrote:
2
3 > 3. My home directory; subversion repositories and DBMS catalogues are
4 > backed-up to a remote account. I currently do this with a cron-job
5 > which takes dumps; creates tar files; AES encrypts then uploads using
6 > SSH to the remote site... which manages a history of 3 backups using a
7 > simple shell-script. This works OK, but it is very ad-hoc... and it
8 > won't scale as every backup requires that I upload a new copy - even if
9 > I've only made a trivial change to my data. It would be far better if
10 > an incremental update were possible - though I'm not willing to give up
11 > encryption of data I send off-site.
12
13 Does your remote site use rsync? I use Strongspace and have a directory
14 on the server set up with encfs. I tried mounting it with sshfs and then
15 encfs but found it very slow, so what I now do is have a local directory,
16 mounted with encfs. I backup from my home directory to that, using rsync,
17 then I rsync that encrypted directory with the one on the server, so I am
18 transferring pre-encrypted files. I can still mount the remote directory
19 using sshfs and encfs if I need to, and if I need to, the lack of speed
20 won't be my main concern.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 "Bother" said Rue, for no apparent reason