From: "Steve [Gentoo]" <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Backups... a very general question...
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:10:26
1 I've recently been thinking about backup strategy... following a painful
2 re-install after dropping a clanger during a kernel upgrade. While this
3 seems a very basic topic, I can find surprisingly little documentation
4 about this on-line.
5
6 I need to address several entirely different kinds of backup:
7
8 1. A backup of my root & boot partitions in a working state. This
9 should be a backup to DVD-RW(s) - and would not contain any user-data...
10 but would provide a recovery point to get a working server as quickly as
11 possible in the event of a drive failure. It would be fantastic if, in
12 addition to this. there were some means to track which packages had been
13 merged/updated since the backup was made - and a copy to be made of any
14 configuration changes... The list of updated packages (and the versions
15 to which they've been updated) and any changes to configuration files
16 would be tiny and hence easy to backup via another approach. It would
17 be fantastic if the backup DVDs were bootable and doing so would restore
18 the backup.
19
20 2. I've many gigabytes of MP3 files stored in Artist/[year]Album/*.*
21 hierarchy... which I extend sporadically. I'd like a backup of this (as
22 organising it took lots of time) but a different approach is necessary
23 here... I'd like to pack as many whole albums onto DVDRs as would fit,
24 which I'd then number, and given a list detailing which albums are on
25 which DVDs, I could also play albums from a DVD player attached to a
26 hi-fi. I'd like to be prompted to backup each time N-Mb of new data has
27 been added to my MP3 directory - and that the most recent DVD-R should
28 be authored with minimum user intervention.
29
30 3. My home directory; subversion repositories and DBMS catalogues are
31 backed-up to a remote account. I currently do this with a cron-job
32 which takes dumps; creates tar files; AES encrypts then uploads using
33 SSH to the remote site... which manages a history of 3 backups using a
34 simple shell-script. This works OK, but it is very ad-hoc... and it
35 won't scale as every backup requires that I upload a new copy - even if
36 I've only made a trivial change to my data. It would be far better if
37 an incremental update were possible - though I'm not willing to give up
38 encryption of data I send off-site.
39
40 Are there any packages which would make any (or all) of these tasks more
41 straightforward or more efficient?
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list