From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Virtualization
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:32:37
1 On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 1:14 PM, walt<w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 09/06/2009 09:38 AM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
3 >>
4 >> walt wrote:
5 >> []
6 >>
7 >>>
8 >>> I don't use vmware but I do use virtualbox every day and I love it.
9 >>> It's extremely fast even compared to kvm, which I also use on my
10 >>> newest machine with hardware virtualization support.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> Some questions, please:
14 >>
15 >> 1. How would you contrast these two packages for "security" use?
16 >>
17 >> (I'm planning on setting up a server on my desktop, and would think
18 >> running it in a VM would be appropriate)
19 >>
20 >> 2. Should someone get a shell in either of these VM clients, would they
21 >> even be able to determine that they're not on hardware (using full
22 >> virtualization)?
23 >>
24 >> 3. Do the VMs see themselves as being on a LAN (e.g. 192.168.x.x), or do
25 >> they actually share the hardware with the host?
26 >>
27 >> 4. Do you communicate with them via, e.g. SSH and/or X?
28 >
29 > I'm not a computer professional, so I'm not the best one to give advice
30 > about security.  I can tell you that both vbox and kvm are built on top
31 > of a qemu base so they share a lot of code.
32 >
33 > The principal advantage for vbox is its nice gui interface to the massive
34 > list of qemu command-line options, and its highly optimized virtual graphics
35 > driver, which is what make vbox faster than kvm.
36 >
37 > If you don't need the fancy fast graphics driver (for your server) then
38 > it's just about a tossup between the two, both being based on qemu.(Oh,
39 > but vbox is very fast even without hardware virtualization support, and
40 > kvm isn't.)
41 >
42 > Networking is anywhere between trivial and a nightmare, depending on what
43 > you need it to do.  Both by default "just work" when a guest is talking to
44 > the internet via your host machine, but then it's difficult communicating
45 > with the guest locally.  There are ways to do bridging, firewalling, making
46 > a virtual lan between guests, and lots of fancy stuff, but then you really
47 > need to know how to use all those fancy options (which I don't).
48 >
49 > I use both of them to run Windows guests using the default network settings
50 > (no custom configuration whatever) and I use samba on the host to share
51 > files
52 > with the guests, which is very easy.
53 >
54 > I suspect that running a virtual server might require some network tweaking
55 > to make a decent job of it, but I'm only guessing.
56 >
57 > I hope some experts can add to or correct the above.
58
59 Well, not an expert by any measure here, but I have been using Vbox
60 for about a year (with a variety of both hosts and guests), and I will
61 mention that networking with it is an absolute breeze 9 out of 10
62 times. Bridged connections, internal networks (client to client
63 visible only, great for hosting mysql on one guest and apache on
64 another), host-only (internal with a virtual connection into it on the
65 host, only worked with this on Windows hosts), NATed connections
66 through the host (not optimal for servers, but the default and great
67 for initial builds and 'simple' work with a guest). I also run 3-4
68 guests at a time with no problem on my meager little Core 2 duo,
69 3.0ghz, 4gb ram.
72 Poison [BLX]
73 Joshua M. Murphy