From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Virtualization
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 17:15:29
1 On 09/06/2009 09:38 AM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > walt wrote:
3 > []
6 >> I don't use vmware but I do use virtualbox every day and I love it.
7 >> It's extremely fast even compared to kvm, which I also use on my
8 >> newest machine with hardware virtualization support.
11 > Some questions, please:
12 >
13 > 1. How would you contrast these two packages for "security" use?
14 >
15 > (I'm planning on setting up a server on my desktop, and would think
16 > running it in a VM would be appropriate)
17 >
18 > 2. Should someone get a shell in either of these VM clients, would they
19 > even be able to determine that they're not on hardware (using full
20 > virtualization)?
21 >
22 > 3. Do the VMs see themselves as being on a LAN (e.g. 192.168.x.x), or do
23 > they actually share the hardware with the host?
24 >
25 > 4. Do you communicate with them via, e.g. SSH and/or X?
26
27 I'm not a computer professional, so I'm not the best one to give advice
28 about security. I can tell you that both vbox and kvm are built on top
29 of a qemu base so they share a lot of code.
30
31 The principal advantage for vbox is its nice gui interface to the massive
32 list of qemu command-line options, and its highly optimized virtual graphics
33 driver, which is what make vbox faster than kvm.
34
35 If you don't need the fancy fast graphics driver (for your server) then
36 it's just about a tossup between the two, both being based on qemu.(Oh,
37 but vbox is very fast even without hardware virtualization support, and
38 kvm isn't.)
39
40 Networking is anywhere between trivial and a nightmare, depending on what
41 you need it to do. Both by default "just work" when a guest is talking to
42 the internet via your host machine, but then it's difficult communicating
43 with the guest locally. There are ways to do bridging, firewalling, making
44 a virtual lan between guests, and lots of fancy stuff, but then you really
45 need to know how to use all those fancy options (which I don't).
46
47 I use both of them to run Windows guests using the default network settings
48 (no custom configuration whatever) and I use samba on the host to share files
49 with the guests, which is very easy.
50
51 I suspect that running a virtual server might require some network tweaking
52 to make a decent job of it, but I'm only guessing.
53
54 I hope some experts can add to or correct the above.