From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no-emul profiles
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 12:17:11
1 On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 00:05:30 +0100 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Am Wed, 19 Nov 2014 23:09:16 +0200
4 > schrieb Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
5 >
6 > > Looking into profile list, I have found out new,
7 > > at least for me, no-emul profiles. (As far as I
8 > > remember, they were not there one and a half
9 > > years ago, when I installed my first Gentoo system.)
10 > >
11 > > I tried to google something about them but have
12 > > found virtually nothing except for the following
13 > > wiki page: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Multilib_System_without_emul-linux_Packages
14 > >
15 > > It is not about profiles at all but I guess that
16 > > no-emul profile provides the same result while
17 > > installing the system.
18 > >
19 > > Am I right?
20 >
21 > In short: yes, I think so.
22 >
23 > It Looks to me like a new profile that uses proper multilib (something that
24 > some Gentoo devs have been working on for several years now, in fact) instead
25 > of the pre-compiled 32 bit packages (app-emulation/emul-linux-*), so that now,
26 > finally, (some) packages can be compiled for both 32 and 64 bits. Specifically,
27 > I think it is explicitly for wine users.
28 >
29 > Actually, I'm mildly excited that proper multilib (at least for amd64) appears
30 > to be nearing completion, or at least a usable state.
31 >
32 > > If so, I have a few more questions:
33 > >
34 > > Is it stable?
35 > >
36 > > Is it worth to choose it while installing a new Gentoo system?
37 >
38 > No clue about these two, since I haven't tried it, but I've never heard of
39 > "experimental" profiles,
40
41 I have seen such a warning when googling about uclibc profile
42 (but it is hard to say when this warning was issued).
43
44 > so I don't expect it to be broken (but see below).
45
46 > Anyway, I just switched to default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-emul-linux-x86/desktop
47 > as an experiment and am waiting for emerge @world to finish :) .
48
49 Thank you for trying it. :)
50
51 > So the no-emul-linux-x86 profiles are fairly simple: they unmask the abi_x86_32
52 > USE flag (at least for enough packages to satisfy wine's dependency tree), mask
53 > the emul-linux-* packages, and mask some older versions of packages that don't
54 > have the necessary multilib support. I needed to upgrade 5 packages, of which
55 > four (gnutls, texinfo, nettle, and libSM) have open stabilisation bugs.
56
57 Does not this mean that it is a bit experimental?
58
59 > The one without was wine, but I don't mind in its case. After that and adding
60 > lots of abi_x86_32 USE flags, portage was able to sort out all blockers by itself
61 > and emerge @world started running successfully.
62 >
63 > There is also a corresponding abi_x86_64 USE flag that remains masked, so you
64 > don't get the full granularity yet, but it will get there eventually :) .
65
66 What is still unclear for me (but it is not the question to you but to
67 the creators of this profile) is the following:
68
69 In the wiki page I have mentioned above, is written:
70 "This document will show how to setup a Gentoo ~amd64 system for this
71 new way of dealing with 32bit libraries. A stable amd64 system may not
72 work this way but if the new feature is completely stable, it will be
73 available to all users eventually."
74
75 That suggests that with the time all these features will be included
76 into the usual default amd64 profile, and thus amd64 no-emul profile
77 seems to be somewhat experimental (at least as to my logic :).
78
79 If so, will it be abandoned with time or just converge to the default
80 amd64 profile?
81
82 > > Can I expect that in this case I will be able to install
83 > > and run such applications as, say, wine?
84 >
85 > I would expect so. The wine ebuilds (at least for version 1.7.x) have supported
86 > multilib for a while now (just check the changelog), as an alternative to the
87 > emul-linux-* packages.
88 >
89 > > Thank you.
90 >