From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no-emul profiles
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 23:05:51
1 Am Wed, 19 Nov 2014 23:09:16 +0200
2 schrieb Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
3
4 > Looking into profile list, I have found out new,
5 > at least for me, no-emul profiles. (As far as I
6 > remember, they were not there one and a half
7 > years ago, when I installed my first Gentoo system.)
8 >
9 > I tried to google something about them but have
10 > found virtually nothing except for the following
11 > wiki page: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Multilib_System_without_emul-linux_Packages
12 >
13 > It is not about profiles at all but I guess that
14 > no-emul profile provides the same result while
15 > installing the system.
16 >
17 > Am I right?
18
19 In short: yes, I think so.
20
21 It Looks to me like a new profile that uses proper multilib (something that
22 some Gentoo devs have been working on for several years now, in fact) instead
23 of the pre-compiled 32 bit packages (app-emulation/emul-linux-*), so that now,
24 finally, (some) packages can be compiled for both 32 and 64 bits. Specifically,
25 I think it is explicitly for wine users.
26
27 Actually, I'm mildly excited that proper multilib (at least for amd64) appears
28 to be nearing completion, or at least a usable state.
29
30 > If so, I have a few more questions:
31 >
32 > Is it stable?
33 >
34 > Is it worth to choose it while installing a new Gentoo system?
35
36 No clue about these two, since I haven't tried it, but I've never heard of
37 "experimental" profiles, so I don't expect it to be broken (but see below).
38
39 Anyway, I just switched to default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-emul-linux-x86/desktop
40 as an experiment and am waiting for emerge @world to finish :) .
41
42 So the no-emul-linux-x86 profiles are fairly simple: they unmask the abi_x86_32
43 USE flag (at least for enough packages to satisfy wine's dependency tree), mask
44 the emul-linux-* packages, and mask some older versions of packages that don't
45 have the necessary multilib support. I needed to upgrade 5 packages, of which
46 four (gnutls, texinfo, nettle, and libSM) have open stabilisation bugs. The
47 one without was wine, but I don't mind in its case. After that and adding lots
48 of abi_x86_32 USE flags, portage was able to sort out all blockers by itself
49 and emerge @world started running successfully.
50
51 There is also a corresponding abi_x86_64 USE flag that remains masked, so you
52 don't get the full granularity yet, but it will get there eventually :) .
53
54 > Can I expect that in this case I will be able to install
55 > and run such applications as, say, wine?
56
57 I would expect so. The wine ebuilds (at least for version 1.7.x) have supported
58 multilib for a while now (just check the changelog), as an alternative to the
59 emul-linux-* packages.
60
61 > Thank you.
62
63 HTH
64 --
65 Marc Joliet
66 --
67 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
68 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup