From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} laptops for a developing country (Vanuatu)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 01:36:50
1 >> My wife and I recently visited Vanuatu (island of Santo) and fell in
2 >> love with it. We got to know some locals pretty well and everybody is
3 >> pining for laptops. Internet service is becoming widely available due
4 >> to Digicel and TVL cell phone signals but I didn't meet anyone with a
5 >> real smartphone. I promised to return with laptops and I'd like to
6 >> make good on that. Which ultra low-cost but functional laptops or
7 >> netbooks would you choose for this? I'm looking into OLPC but I'm not
8 >> sure how that works.
9 >>
10 >> - Grant
13 > I heard Chromebooks are cheap, but I don't know what's their exact cost /
14 > feasibility / etc.
15
16 I think the problem there is a Chromebook needs to be online in order
17 to do much of anything, and the connection needs to be fast in order
18 to make them very functional. Plus most people are paying by the MB
19 in Vanuatu and a Chromebook must use a fair amount of data even on a
20 fast connection.
21
22 - Grant