From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage vs Qt
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 12:51:43
1 On Saturday 17 Dec 2016 12:27:18 Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Wed, 14 Dec 2016 00:06:00 -0500
3 >
4 > schrieb Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>:
5 > > I just updated Qt5 to 5.6.2 & ran into a familiar Portage problem.
6 > >
7 > > The emerge command responds with a list of "conflicts",
8 > > all involving 5.6.1 vs 5.6.2 versions of the c 15 pkgs.
9 > > The only way to get around this is to unmerge the existing pkgs via
10 > > '-C', then install the new versions. That works, but it's brute
11 > > force.
12 > >
13 > > Portage sb able to resolve this kind of conflict for itself.
14 > > If not, then at least it should advise users intelligently
15 > > to do what I've just described. It can happen with other sets of
16 > > pkgs.
17 > >
18 > > Yes, I did do 'backtrack==30'.
19 > >
20 > > Before I send in a bug, does anyone else have useful comments ?
21 >
22 > I constantly see the same conflict and haven't nailed it down exactly
23 > right now. It seems to happen when one package requires a binary
24 > compatibility to an older version of a depend but can also be built
25 > against the newer version. Usually, emerge should trigger a rebuild
26 > then. But this doesn't seem to work when both packages (the depend and
27 > the depender) are updated at the same time. Portage then pulls in the
28 > old and the new version of the same package at the same time, resulting
29 > in a conflict.
30 >
31 > Upgrading the depends with "-1a" first sometimes helps but usually I'll
32 > also resolv it by unmerging the conflicting package first.
33
34 Or, I usually end up unmerging the older version and emerge then picks up the
35 latest stable version of the dependency. I'm not saying this is the correct
36 way to do it but either of these two methods get me out of the woods
37 eventually.
38 --
39 Regards,
40 Mick