From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kde 4.2.1 sill pulling in 3.5 packages
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:48:36
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > I was looooooking for a silver bullet,
5 > > so I can just auto prevent installing anything that
6 > > uses kde 3 *....
9 > In that case, I would find a convenient package.keywords in a kde overlay and
10 > symlink to it from /etc/portage/package.mask/
11
12 Interesting approach.
15 > Or, in the gentoo docs for split kde ebuilds there is a longish compound
16 > command to find all packages from a previous kde-3 slot and remove them. Adapt
17 > that for what you want and redirect the output to a file in package.mask
20 Hmmmm,
21
22 I'll look at this, cause once I get this system
23 happy and everything critical supported,
24 I've got more than a dozen workstations to
25 permanently move to kde 4.
28 I have some time before I do this so
29 more research is warranted.
30
31 > Unfortunately, there is no support in portage that I know of to directly mask
32 > out a chunk of the tree. You have to fudge it.
33
34 I like 'sliver bullets'. As a kid growing up in rural Florida,
35 I have lots of success putting meat on the table
36 with a 30-30 and silver bullets.... One shot
37 and dinner was on the table.
38
39 That mentality has never disappeared.
42 For now I settled for masking off kdelibs in
43 package.mask. With some fortuitous guidance and
44 research, I probably can cobble together a list
45 of 5 or 6 key kde 3.5 packages to mask off
46 and that'll cover 98% of kde 3.5. Simple,
47 easy and DONE.
50 Any other ideas or thoughts are welcome.
51 Once I cut a machine over to kde 4.x
52 I want to be done with kde 3.5* on that
53 machine.
56 James