From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads-up: Several kernel versions have severe EXT4 data corruption bug
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:08:34
1 On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Kerin Millar wrote:
3 >> Helmut Jarausch wrote:
4 >>> On 10/24/2012 03:54:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >>>> Kernels 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6 can result in severe data corruption if
6 >>>> you're using the EXT4 filesystem:
7 >>>
8 >>> It looks as if Eric Sandeen has found the culprit and Theodore Ts'o has
9 >>> suggested this patch yesterday
10 >>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/28/309
11 >>>
12 >>> Helmut.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> Here's the final patch:
16 >>
17 >> https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ffb5387
20 >> It turns out to have had nothing to do with nobarrier.
21 >>
22 >> --Kerin
27 > Could you explain a little on who it could have affected? Is it more
28 > serious or less serious than originally thought? This is for those of
29 > us who don't subscribe to the kernel mailing list, which I have read is
30 > hugely active.
31 >
32 > Thanks much.
33
34 Well, it fixes a bug introduced in early February. If your kernel is
35 older than that, you're probably not affected.
36
37 More specific than that...it's a race condition that's unlikely to
38 affect machines that aren't creating many new files while shutting
39 down where the ext4 filesystem isn't being unmounted cleanly.
40
41 It's probably worth getting patched, but I'd wait until the relevant
42 kernel version's ebuild hits stable, same as usual.