From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:13:12
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 January 2010 09:03:57 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:21:18 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I usually just do softlevel=single or that other one I got wrote down
7 >>> here somewhere.
8 >>>
9 >> That turns off almost everything, whereas gentoo=nox does a normal
10 >> startup of everything but xdm. Single mode has its uses but it's a bit
11 >> of a sledgehammer for this particular nut.
14 > Each of my machines has a no-x run level, which omits services such as X,
15 > dbus and hal but does start gpm, network services and (except on the
16 > laptops) numlock. Saves me quite a bit of typing.
20 Those are good ideas but I just rarely use these. Most of the time
21 booting to single is all I need. The emerges run faster too.
22
23 Dale
24