From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:55:33
1 On Tuesday 19 January 2010 09:03:57 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:21:18 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 > > I usually just do softlevel=single or that other one I got wrote down
4 > > here somewhere.
5 >
6 > That turns off almost everything, whereas gentoo=nox does a normal
7 > startup of everything but xdm. Single mode has its uses but it's a bit
8 > of a sledgehammer for this particular nut.
9
10 Each of my machines has a no-x run level, which omits services such as X,
11 dbus and hal but does start gpm, network services and (except on the
12 laptops) numlock. Saves me quite a bit of typing.
15 Rgds
16 Peter.