From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:20:44
1 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On Tuesday 19 January 2010 09:03:57 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:21:18 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >> > I usually just do softlevel=single or that other one I got wrote down
6 >> > here somewhere.
7 >>
8 >> That turns off almost everything, whereas gentoo=nox does a normal
9 >> startup of everything but xdm. Single mode has its uses but it's a bit
10 >> of a sledgehammer for this particular nut.
11 >
12 > Each of my machines has a no-x run level, which omits services such as X,
13 > dbus and hal but does start gpm, network services and (except on the
14 > laptops) numlock. Saves me quite a bit of typing.
15
16 Do you do this thru grub.conf then?
17
18 Modification of the kernel line?
19
20 In fact, whatever way you do it, can you give somekind of example?