From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Status of a GIT repository
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 10:04:55
1 Hi,
2 I have no experience with GIT.
3
4 I'd like to determine if a GIT repository in Gentoo is up-to-date.
5 Normally, a GIT folder has a '.git' subfolder. Using 'git status' in
6 such a GIT folder works fine.
7
8 But the subfolders in /usr/portage/distfiles/git3-src don't contain a
9 '.git' subfolder.
10 A plain 'git status' in such a subfolder doesn't work - I get "fatal:
11 This operation must be run in a work tree".
12
13 Is there a means to determine the status of a Gentoo-GIT-folder?
14
15 Background: I'd like to check if anything has changed in the GIT
16 repository before I run an 'emerge -u' for that.
17
18 Many thanks for a hint,
19 Helmut